Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Best Day Ever

After the lovely time riding bikes outside all day today we finally made it inside for dinner. We had Olivia's favorite, spaghetti and meatballs. I tried some new meatballs, frozen turkey ones from Trader Joes. I think they will replace the Costco ones we are used to in our freezer. Delish.

Then we were off to Baskin Robbins for Dollar Days. I decided to be good and only get two, Tax Crunch and Chocolate Covered Cherry, for me and the kids to share. It was so good when we finished I went back for a third for us to share, something chocolate with lavendar and blueberries in it. This is the best tuesday tradition to have when Travis is out late with band practice.

Then when I got home and glanced at the mail I noticed the letter from the school district. I wasn't expecting to hear if Olivia got into our kindergarten of choice until the 15th, so I was surprised and nervous to see the letter. I was even more surprised when I opened it and learned she got in! Olivia's kindergarten is now officially Washington Open. (And Noah's too since he will get a priority spot as a sibling in a few years.)

Washington Open is an alternative, public school in our district. Their goal is to education the "whole child." Sounds so hippie, huh? I thought so at first too, but the more I learned about it the more it just made sense. The biggest difference is that it is parent-participation school and each child is required to have a parent work in the classroom once a week. Because of this the teacher has a lot more help and can do a lot more activities. Also, field trips are a big part of the ciriculum, they go on at least one a month. As they get older they include overnight ones like camping in the gold country and staying on a battleship in the San Francisco harbor. I'm very excited to be so involved in Olivia's education.

I could go on and on about Washington Open, but I'll just say it was the perfect ending to the perfect day. Yet, just the beginning to Olivia's education so I have a lifetime of things to be nervous about!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:20 PM, Blogger Geekette said…

    Such awesome news Jessica. I'm sure she'll do just wonderful.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home