Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Greatest Show on Earth

We went to the circus on saturday. It was fun, I wasn't sure how much the kids got out of it though. They seemed like they liked it, but they weren't on the edge of their seats or anything.

However, Olivia and her new toy elephant daddy bought her are inseperable. First his name was Biggle, then it changed to Biggie, now I believe it's Watery. She said his mommy named him Watery, so that's his real name; but the other names are only his circus names. She went to sleep right after Strawberry Shortcake did a impressive performance of tricks flipping on and off various body part of Watery.



Travis and I agreed that we thought the most impressive part of the circus was when all the little motorcycles road around inside this steal ball. It was amazing how they could do that without any of them running into each other. I still think it might have been on some kind of control, but Travis thinks the people were really driving them.

I was a bit disappointed with some of the other parts, the trapezee artist wasn't all that. There were some great acrobatics, but no real trapezee stuff that you expect out of the circus.

And the only real circus animals were the elephants. Otherwise there were just some everyday bird, cat, and dogs doing tricks. I guess PETA has really had it's influence. They were protesting outside. I'm not sure how I feel about that. One part of me thinks it's great, I completely support the right to free protest, and it probably does keep the circus way more humane than it would be otherwise. On the other hand, I felt it was a bit inappopriate they were handing out fliers, holding signs, and approaching me to tell me about elephant beatings and other such abuse while walking into the circus with my young children. That turned me off a little bit. Also, I feel there are so many people in the world who are being abused, or starving to death, or not receiving medical care in third world countries, it's just a little hard for me to get worked up about animal rights.

So there you go, what was supposed to be a fun, family outing has me debating whether the circus is just good natured fun or animal abuse. I gotta get out of California! :->

3 Comments:

  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger Geekette said…

    Sounds like Strawberry Shortcake needed much of a nap after that performance :)

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Leslie said…

    I've never been to the circus because my mother is one of those people that thinks it's cruel to animals. I plan to take my kids and not think about anything other than them having fun. ;)

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger 4texans said…

    Those elephant names remind me of names that my Olivia would probably choose! I don't think we get the circus here :(. Ah well, maybe someday I'll be able to take them to the circus, I loved the circus when I was a child.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home