Friday, December 08, 2006

Honey, I shrunk the sweater

I found this 70% merino wool, 30% cashmere sweater, designed in France, made in Italy for $1 at Salvation Army. Yep, ONE dollar. Talk about score! It's a soft baby blue with a lovely cable design.



So what do I do? Immediately put it through the wash on the hardest, hottest cycle I can about 4 times. This is what happened to it.



Why would I do something like that? Firstly it has a gapping hole in the underarm and secondly, I'm not a baby blue sweater kind of person. Fortunatly, I found from reading at craftster that's it's a legitimate process called felting which binds the fibers together and makes them stronger, along with strinking it. My plan is to cut it up and make a purse out of it. Wish me luck! Worse case, it's a relly cheap experiment.

This is the mu-mu I got for 85 cents I'm going to use for lining fabric. Make it a little more funky to off-set the baby-blueness. Noah picked it out due to the "fishy" print.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Angela James said…

    I actually have several sweaters that I felted but never got around to making purses out of. I think I've since lost the instructions for doing it. If you have some, I'd love to have them.

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger catankgirl said…

    Angie, we are definately on the same craft wavelegnth. :-)

    I can't say enough about the forums at craftster.org. I love looking through what everyone has done. Here is a list of tutorials people have come up with there for bags/purses.

    http://growingupguacamole.blogspot.com/

    And here is one bag someone made from a felted sweater that I absolutely love. I hope mine turns out half as nice.

    http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=135998.0

    Isn't is wonderful that something old and loved like a sweater can have new life as something else?

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger catankgirl said…

    Crap, obviously that first link in my last comment is not supposed to be a link to my blog but to here.

    http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=69914.0

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Angela James said…

    Check out how much felted sweater purses are selling for here http://tinyurl.com/yn286g

    Maybe you have a new money-making hobby ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home