Friday, October 19, 2007

Decorating the Jessica way

Occasionally I make a few Thai dishes that require buying lemongrass from the local Asian grocery store. Awhile back I remember hearing Martha Stewart say that you can plant used lemongrass and grow it. My first attempt putting it in the ground did not work at all. But persistance pays off. The second time I put it in a cup of water inside and it rooted! It's amazing that after being picked it can sit in the store, then in my home, I cut it and use it all but an inch of the base, it sits around some more, then I stick in it a cup of water and it starts growing! Wow!

After the roots established pretty well in water I planted it in some planting soil. I'm afraid it's too close to winter for it to survive outside, so I decided to keep it inside through the winter. Can't beat the price of using food scraps as houseplants.

If it survives, I'll plant it in the ground in the spring and be able to have free lemongrass to use next summer in my Coconut Soup. I don't think it looks half bad.



And to add to my thrifiness, I got the stand from craigslist for $10. I think it goes well with the style of my "houseplant." Oh yeah, and the Ansel Adams print in the background is from craigslist too. Gotta love a good bargain.



The bandana ghost is a craft courtesy of Grandma L's last visit. I can't take all the decorating credit. ;)

1 Comments:

  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Sraikh said…

    oooh love lemon grass.. I need to try planting them. Never knew you could do that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home