Wednesday, August 29, 2007

2nd day of kindergarten, and I lost it

Yesterday I was wondering why I didn't feel the emotional response that everyone told me I would as my first child went off to her first day of kindergarten. Well, either because it was a short day, or because I'm a serious procrastinator, it hit me today.

When Olivia arrived at kindergarten today, the board had instruction for her to hang up her bags and sit on the sun mat and they would soon go to Open Sing in the cafeteria, parents and sibs are welcome. So, off they marches, with Noah and I tagging along, to sing in the cafeteria with the whole school.

First they sang This Land is My Land and that's when I started loosing it. I'm not sure why. The combination of the song, with Olivia sitting with all the kids in her class singing, with the bigger kids standing up front helping, it was just all so grade school and there was my little girl in the midst of it. This land is my land. This land is your land. Wah. From California to the New York islands. Wah. It was made for you and me. Wah, wah, wah. Good thing I had sunglasses.

They sang a few more songs of the more hippish nature, then they stressed about not throwing water bottles in the trash, but in the special recycling containers. They last 250 years, you know. This is California, and I'm all for being green if it's not taken out of proportion, so that's cool.

Then they sang this cute song Chicka Chicka Boom Boom which is either a song I remember as a youth in summer camp, or it's very similar. So again, loosing it. And they wrapped up with What a Wonderful World. I mean, really, are they seeing how many moms they can make cry? I see trees of green, and red roses too... Wah. I see skies of blue and clouds of white... Wah. I hear babies crying I watch them grow. They'll learn much more than I'll ever know. Wah, Wah, Wah. And I think to myself, What a Wonderful World. Yes, I say to myself, What a Wonderful World. Bawling, pure bawling. So cliche, but I never thought I'd be the emotional basket case mom on the first day of kindergarten. I guess I just had to do it the second day to be a little different.

So, at that point I high-tail it out of there with Noah. We hit Target, the new Trader Joes near my house (hooray) and get gas at Costco. We make it home for some snacks, gardening, and laundry before going to pick up Olivia. Even with the emotional roller coaster, I'm liking this kindergarten thing. And although today was longer than yesterday, it's not as long as next week when she starts staying for lunch.

Oh yeah, and Olivia is still doing well and seems to be enjoying it. I asked her what her favorite part was today and she said she liked everything. I asked her if she was happy the whole time or ever got scared or sad and she said, "I told you I liked everything, mom." Well, ok, there you go. Thanks goodness I'm going to be working in the classroom once a week or I wouldn't know anything that happens to the girl.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger phins_jazy said…

    I'm glad she's having a great time at kindergarden. I still cry everytime Jaz goes off to school too. And she's in the 3rd grade!!! lol

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger 4texans said…

    Are they trying to make the parents cry??? I would have lost it with "What a Wonderful World"!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home