Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Arbor Day

I don't know when Arbor Day actually is, but we had quite the arborous weekend around here.

First, we picked up two trees from a friend of ours that didn't want them. Two trees sprang up in her planter with the iris in it. (We have to return the iris to her after removing and planting the trees.) It's beyond me where, but she told Travis which of these is the ash tree and which is the mimosa tree. There are two very unlovely views of telephone poles from our house I've been dying to hide, and I think these will do just the trick! And the price was right. Free.



Then we bought a plum tree at 50% off at OSH. Total impulse purchase, but at $11.50, if it yields a few plums it will pay for itself. It doesn't look like much, but it has 3 different kind of plum tree branches grafted into it to increase the chance of production. Yum!



AND we noticed our peach trees are blossoming! It must have happened last year before we moved in, because it was a pleasant surprise we don't remember seeing last year. I never did get around to spraying them for peach leaf curl this winter, but hopefully we'll still get some peaches this year. And this year I know how to skin and freeze them.





Our house doesn't look like much, but someone who lived here before was smart, we have fresh produce all year long. Avocados in winter, loquats in spring, peaches in summer, and figs in fall! And Travis is already planning our garden for this summer.

Here are the kids enjoying last year's peaches.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How cool that you get to eat stuff off your trees. I remember that pic from last year. :)

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger allison said…

    Awesome! You're going to have a produce stand going before you know it. Too bad my lemons would cost so much to send to you. I'd send you a hundred if I could -- I'm sure you could think of something fancy to do with them!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home