Sunday, March 26, 2006

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

March is pick-up month is Santa Clara, CA. This month, everyone who lives in my town gets a day in which they can leave just about anything on the curb with very little limitations and the city will take it to the dump for you.

This is the first place I've lived where this has occured, and it is very amusing for me to see the huge piles of junks on the streets around town. There is even a term for people who go around and salvage stuff from other people's piles, "dumpster diving." There is actually a regulation against dumpster diving around here; however, I did notice a lot more traffic on my street this week. And I live on the end of a cul-de-sac.

Tomorrow is our day for pick-up, so I took a few pictures to share of what my street looks like today. Click on the pictures of see larger versions of the junk piles.

The first picture is our pile with our next two neighbors' piles next to ours. We got into the spirit of things by throwing in a coffee maker, a honey-suckle bush, some agapantha bushes, concrete chunks, and some old rain spouts.



This next picture is a little farther up the street. You can see one large pile in the foreground and another in the background.



But I think the pile of our neighbor across the street takes the cake. There is actually a few large sofas on top of the pile!

4 Comments:

  • At 6:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOW!

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger allison said…

    We have a similar thing, but it's just a "Free Dump Day" where you can take anything you want to the dump. Seems like a lot of extra work for the city to do it your city's way!

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger catankgirl said…

    I agree Allie! The only reason I can figure that they do it is that maybe otherwise people dump too much stuff on city property! lol

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger 4texans said…

    Wow, that last one is huge!

    We had something similar a few weeks ago, we had 2 days. The first day was for recycled/donated items, the second day was for the big trash pickup. I donated a huge garbage bag of junk.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home