Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Still wavering

I still haven't decided where to put Olivia in school next year. My top two choices are kinda polar opposites, but both really stand out in their own way.

Choice #1 - Los Altos Christian Preschool

This is where she is now. She'd be in the pre-k class next year.

Pros: The class size is small, 12 kids max. And we love that she learns things that are in line with our faith.

Cons: It's far, really far. 20-25 minutes one way. That's over an hour and a half total in the car for Noah on school days. And it's relatively expensive, over $400/mo for 9 hours a week. (3 hours on 3 days.)

Choice #2 - Washington Open

This is a public school in our district, but it's an alternative school we are on the waiting list for. Their vision is teaching more by doing, activities and lots of field trips, rathar than sitting in a desk and doing paper and pencil work. She'd be attending kindergarten there. It would be 5 days a week for 4 hours each day. Half the time would be with 15 kids in the class, half the time with 30.

Pros: It's close and free. It's parent participation, so I'd be in the classroom once a week and see how she is doing. And that helps the child/adult ratio too. All the parents are require to be involved. I really like this philosophy of learning for young kids and think Olivia might really enjoy it.

Possible Cons: It's not a Christian school and I'm not sure Olivia is ready for kindergarten to being with, she's old enough by 9 days. Since I know a lot less about this school than the one she attends currently, I'm not really sure how much the cons would turn out to be cons, you know?

So on my to-do list is to go observe Washington Open one more time before school is out and hopefully talk to a kindergarten teacher about Olivia's young age to start kindergarten and do some serious praying about the whole thing. I lean a different direction each week. I really want to make the best choice for Olivia.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger Leslie said…

    That is SUCH a difficult decision. I hope you are able to find comfort and peace in the decision you make.

     
  • At 8:40 AM, Blogger 4texans said…

    I agree, that is difficult. That's nice that the other one is free. It's hard to think about cost and distance, but maybe it's more important to think what is the right choice for Olivia.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger RLGelber said…

    That's a tough one Jessica. An additional $400 in your pocket and an hour and a half added to your day is a compelling factor. My, don't I sound shallow and selfish? Since it's not a Christian school, perhaps you could add a home-schooled Bible study session a few days a week. That might make the public school a bit more palatable. Just a thought. :)

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger catankgirl said…

    I wonder too, if time and money should be motivators for me. The time in the car bothers me mostly because of Noah. He hardly ever gets a good nap, always half ones here and there in the car. That's not really fair for him.

    And I think about the money, that we could be busy on the house, fixing it up, moving up to a nicer one in a nicer neighborhood, or saving for private school later when I think it's more important when they are older.

    I wouldn't do something purely because of the conveinence and money, but they are factors. And I do think about how much of it is my own selfishness and how much is taking in consideration for the whole family.

    They are both good school in their own right, just which one is right for Olivia? Arg!

    And if we send Olivia to the public school we'd put her in Awana wednesday night probably, a Christian program at our church. That would be nice, like you said, Leslie!

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    Good luck deciding, it's definately a tough choice.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home