Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Way to go, Olivia!



Olivia is learning how to jump rope! This accomplishment is extra special because of her tendacy to get really frustrated when something is difficult for her. I don't know if it is her age or her personality, but usually when facing something she can't do, her first reaction is to throw it down and run away crying. My first reaction is to get upset and let her.

But, we've both been practicing and talking about how to keep trying when things are hard. How even mommy and daddy have to practice to get good at things. How each time we try we get a little better.

So, today I taught her the song I used to sing when I jumped rope when I was little, "Cinderella dressed in yella, went upstairs to kiss her fella, made a mistake and kissed a snake, how many doctors did it take, 1, 2, 3..." I think singing the song helped it be fun and made her want to keep trying even when she messed up.

She kept trying and trying and was getting better at it. She didn't even get upset when I recommended she hold the rope a different way and stood right behind her and held her hands holding the rope in my hands so she could feel how I did it.

I guess I'm proud of both of us. Her for being persistent, and me for helping her.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home