Monday, November 13, 2006

Unraveling Liz

Ever since I found this trendy crafty message board I've gotten a major bug to start knitting. Unfortunately, I can't justify buying yarn since I have a huge bag already that I don't really want to use. One idea I found at craftster was buying older sweaters and unraveling them to reuse the yarn. The idea was so compelling that I had to try it.

Friday I went thrift store shopping and I found this XL Liz Claiborne sweater for $4 that I loved the color and it looked so big and squishy I thought it would unravel into gorgeous yarn. It took me way longer than I thought to rip out the seams, but I did get one sleeve seperate from the rest of the sweater. I started unraveling it and discovered it wasn't exactly the thick, soft yarn I expected. It was more like two thin threads that contributed to the color effect I liked. But I was impressed that I was unraveling the entire sleeve in one long piece. Until almost the end anyway. But still, pretty cool.

The "yarn" was way too thin to knit anything I wanted to knit with it, but I still like it. So I doubled it up and am trying to knit a scarf. If I was really ambitious, I would actually knit a swatch and wash and dry it to see how it will actually turn out. The "yarn" is pretty kinky from being in the sweater. I'm lazy though. Here is the scarf I'm knitting, the pattern is called "wavy," which is fitting.



Here was the original sweater. I think I could probably knit 500 scarfs out of it. I might get ambitious and try a hat if I actually finish the scarf.


3 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Beautiful sweater. I can't knit but i crosstitch

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger 4texans said…

    It will turn out great...you are so crafty (and thrifty)...I wish I could knit (and have time for it)!

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Highlandgal said…

    Damn, $4 for a Liz Claiborne sweater? You're breaking my heart.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home