Saturday, December 09, 2006

Progress

I started my purse experiment last night. I like how it's coming along. Although, the sweater fabric is really thick and hard to get under the sewing maching foot. I've only done about 5 seams, the strap is still pined to the body, I can't sew it on until I make the lining, but here it is so far.



The strap (formerly the sleeve) has this weird crease in it that is still there after washing and drying a bazillion times. I wonder if I should try to iron it out, or wet it and try to dry it in the shape I want?

And now I've decided that I don't like the mu-mu for the lining. (Which means I'll need to do another project with it later. Travis suggested a beach tote, which I thought was a great idea.) So, I raided my fabric stash for potential liners. Let me know which you think will go best from the below selections. It won't show at all unless you are looking inside the bag, but I want it to be something I love, you know?



As always, you can click on the pictures for larger versions.

9 Comments:

  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Angela James said…

    I like the middle fabric, with the two different shades of blue, the lighter blue flowers look like they might match the purse--which looks amazing, by the way!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger catankgirl said…

    Thanks Angie!

    I don't know what happened to your other comment, I got it by email anyway. After wrestling putting the thick sweater fabric through my sewing machine, I think this will be my last sweater purse. It can barely handle two layers. So I had to sew the straps on by hand since each strap has a double layer onto a third purse layer. Forget sewing through a sweater seam.

    If I ever find another good thrift store sweater find and am motivated enough to do this ever again, it will be a gift, or a blog give-away like you do. :-)

    BUT good news, all I have to do is the lining! This is the part I'm a bit nervous about. I want to add some inside pockets too. Good thing is that this part won't show.

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Sraikh said…

    Thats my choice as well.
    You are so crafty Jessica..I am now motivated to finish my knitting and post pictures on my blog.
    BTW, I love taht website

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger allison said…

    I like the middle fabric too -- it's beachy ;)

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger allison said…

    What website is Sunita talking about? I must know... tell me!

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger catankgirl said…

    I liked that fabric too, but it turned out I didn't have enough to do the lining and make pockets, so I'm going with the green with flowers, there is a little light blue in it.

    Allie, www.craftster.org/forum is a great crafty message board. Great tutorials and idea how to make anything and everything, out of anything and everything! Very trendy too. Not that I have any idea what is trendy nowadays, but it seems like it...

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Angela James said…

    Jessica,

    How come you did the fabric lining after the bag was constructed? Or did you use the original side seams of the sweater so you only had to sew the bottom seam, instead of sewing two cut-out pieces together?

    And my other comment I left on the first post so it's probably there :)

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger catankgirl said…

    Angie,

    Doh about the comment being on the other post! I didn't even think about that.

    No, I didn't use the original sweater side seams, I cut and re-sewed. BUT I did the lining seperate/afterwards/last so that no seams would show inside. If you sew the lining to it first before stitching pieces together, the seams show on the inside. I have it done now, so I'll try to get some pictures up today so it might make a little sense if that explanation doesn't.

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Geekette said…

    I love it Jessica, and I bet it looks gorgeous with the green lining, that was the fabric I would have gone with.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home