Saturday, January 12, 2008

How to garden on a rainy January day

Lately I've been getting the gardening bug, even though it is a rainy and cold January. I decided to try this tutorial to make newspaper pots to start some seeds indoors. Olivia and her eagle eyes noticed I was doing something interesting and had to get in on the action. After a long and tedious process, we came up with these.



Then add some potting soil, which helps them hold their shape too.



Look, Noah, what we are making.



Now Noah needs something to do too. Give them a few squirts of water, Noah.



Olivia planted her seeds in hers and gave them a good soaking. She planted Mexican Sunflowers and Liatris Blazing Stars.



And here they are sitting in our window sill in the garage waiting to germinate. I guess it might need to get a bit warmer first, but it doesn't hurt to try for the cost of a few seeds and a few scoops of potting soil.



The best part about newspaper pots is that when you are ready to put the plant in the ground, you can just stick the whole pot in a hole in the ground. The newspaper will decompose in the ground, and you don't have to disrupt the roots to transplant.

I hope it works, but even if it doesn't, I satisfied my urge to garden today and had a little fun with the kids.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:40 AM, Blogger Krista said…

    very cool! i'm about to commence on the same thing, only i'm using empty yogurt cups for my tomato seedlings :)

     
  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger Sraikh said…

    She looks exactly like you in the first picture. Happy Gardening..:)

     
  • At 11:43 PM, Blogger Geekette said…

    Looks like great fun. And what a great idea. I hope they thrive for you. :)

     
  • At 2:30 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    So cool! I hope it works! Olivia looks so grown up in those pictures!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home