Monday, January 28, 2008

Olivia's First Science Project

Let me just premise this with my belief that a kindergartner is probably way too young to be doing a science project, simply because I believe that a child's homework should be done primarily by the child, not the parent. That said, Olivia insisted she wanted to enter the science fair this year, and I couldn't very well say "no" to such a high endeavor without all her young adult failings being blamed on me for it. And although I helped her with ideas and putting it together, I was very much impressed with her effort. She did all the writing, and never got tired and wanted to quit, she stuck with it with me until we finished. It might not be the fanciest science project at the fair tomorrow, but I think it will be the best kindergarten one that was done primarily by the kindergartner. ;)

Here is the budding scientist showing off her work. Yes, she is in her jammies on the night before the science fair right as it was completed. That is my bad influence.



The title



The procedure. Yes, there could have been more detail, but I think it does the job explaining it in a way she was able to do.



The results. Only 5 people doesn't exactly make a taste test, but when you factor in all the kids who "couldn't decide," and "liked them all," and the amount of dixie cups this requires, let's just say 5 will suffice.

(Also check out my chopping work on the right. I overestimated the width of all the display board sections. And I did not want that thing out all the time while we were getting everything ready. As it is it's a miracle it's lasted this long. Everything quickly becomes toys in our house.)



There was a section in the example that stated who they got help from. It's been a long time since I've done a science project and I relied heavily on the example. The heavy tilting is also due to my serious estimation problem.



I also left it up to Olivia which sections she wanted to include, and I think Hypothesis and Conclusion are best left for next year. Instead, she made some lovely illustrations of the flavors that were used that I think works much better.



Overall it was really fun for Olivia and I. Wish us luck at the science fair tomorrow! Her project will not be judged or graded, it's just for the experience. And we will get to look around at all the ones done by her classmates and the older kids as well. I'm really proud of my little school girl. Wah!

3 Comments:

  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger Geekette said…

    How wonderful she wanted to do it, and how very fun that you helped and let her do most of the work. She did a lovely job and should be very proud. I remember doing the science fair. It was one of my favorite things about school for quite a while. I still even remember some of my enteries.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Sraikh said…

    Very cool. And she looks so proud. Ashwina is her school's fair as well and I will have pictures tomorrow. :)

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger 4texans said…

    That's awesome! Our school had a science fair last week but kindergarteners weren't included. It looks like a great experience for her.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home