Sunday, April 09, 2006

My latest project

In the vein of waste-not-want-not, I decided I would make a special keepsake out of some of Olivia and Noah's old clothes. I had recently put away an adorable 2T Gap dress that Olivia outgrew. I had gotten a great picture of her wearing it last September while climbing the fig tree.



The dress has all kinds of stains on it though, so I don't feel too bad cutting it up instead of giving it away. I also had laid aside a coordinating orange shirt of Noah's that he was adorable in, but it had just gotten too snug on him. I thought these two fabrics would look great together in a pinwheel quilt block, one of my favs.

So, to work I went. I love measuring, cutting, and sewing the fabric and seeing it come together. It was slow going since I decided to sew it by hand to make it extra special. It's so much nicer sitting next to Travis in front of the TV instead of in front of a sewing machine! And it's surprisingly theraputic to push the needle in and out of the fabric too.

Here is my progress so far.



And a close-up of the first pinwheel block. I cut enough pieces to make at least 3 more of them, and I think I can squeeze out a few more from the scraps.



I'm not sure exactly what I'll do with them when they are done. But that is the fun, letting them "speak" to you as they come along. And at the rate I am going, by the time I finish a few more of these, Olivia and Noah will have grown out of enough clothes to have more fabrics to choose from!

7 Comments:

  • At 5:06 AM, Blogger DJ said…

    I LOVE that patch!!!!!!! I am so touched by this special project of yours. It's going to be so beautiful when it's done.

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Blogger allison said…

    What a great idea!!!

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger 4texans said…

    Oh, wow, how special, it looks great! That's a great idea, I wish I was so crafty! That will be a neat keepsake for them.

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Blogger Erin said…

    It looks really cool!

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger nowwhatelmo said…

    I am super impressed! I can't wait to see the finished product.

     
  • At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love it! Did you see the link I posted on the board about something similar?

     
  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger catankgirl said…

    Leslie, that is where I got the idea! I stole it. Hee hee. I wasn't going to mention that to Allie when she said it was a great idea. Except I'm not good enough to do it with onsies.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home