Sunday, December 10, 2006

Mama has a brand new bag



I finished it last night. It looks just about the same as yesterday's post from the outisde, but most of the work was hand sewing the straps on and the lining in since my sewing machine could barely handle 2 layers of the sweater fabric.



I sewed the sleeves together for the strap, and got the idea from Travis to sew them together so that the cable pattern makes the top look symmetrical.



The lining has 3 pockets that are centered around the strap on the left side. This might seem random, but the way it will be worn the pockets will be at the backmost of my body and thus farthest away from Noah when I carry him on my hip. Perfect for keeping my sunglasses, cellphone, and other delicate things off the bottom of the purse getting banged up.



It was a fun and challenging project. It cost just over one day and one dollar. I'm proud of it and plan on wearing it everywhere.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger Angela James said…

    Okay, so how did you do the lining?

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger Angela James said…

    And I forgot to say it looks fantastic. I'm extra impressed with the pockets!

    Mine is half done, I have the bag and strap done, a pocket on the outside. Now all I need to do is sew the lining and add a button for the flap!

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Blogger catankgirl said…

    Thanks Angie! Yeah, mine could probably use some kind of button or way to close it, but at this point, I am DONE. The tip of my pointer finger is sore from pushing pins and needles into the thing.

    The lining... Well, I kinda made it up as I went along, and it did take several different things needing to be redone. I'll do my best to explain it.

    Basically, you make it the same size/shape of the purse, but a little smaller, but you want the right side being on the inside, of course. I tried a few different ways to attach it which made me look a bit like a contortionist trying to sew with the straps that kept getting in the way.

    What finally worked best was just getting it in there like you like, then folding over a bit of the top edge, wrong sides facing, and slip stitch the very top/folded edge of the lining to the inside of the purse, mine is about a quarter inch down from the top on the inside.

    I sewed the pocket on before attaching it though. The pocket you can probably figure out pretty easy. It's two layers so there is a right side on the outside and inside of the pocket. I just folded it once, right sides facing, sewed it together on the side opposite of the folded side, turned it inside out, then turned the other two edges down and sewed them on the lining, plus the bottom too.

    Ok, it's REALLY hard to explain how you do things in words, isn't it? If you want closer/better pictures of anything, let me know. Also, I would really suggest just reading the tutorials on craftster to get ideas, some people there did really good tutorials with lots of pictures. I should have taken more as I went along.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home