Friday, March 03, 2006

Ode to Caffeine and Chocolate

(Disclaimer: In case you haven't guessed, this post isn't really about the kids at all... )

This post was inspired by my two friends, Sara who is giving up caffeine for Lent and Shawnie who is giving up chocolate for Lent. I don't know how they do it.

Let me start by telling you about my week, or more accurately about Travis' evening commitments this week. Due to 3 different band practices, I have kid duty tuesday, wednesday, and friday from sun-up to sun-down. (Well, kinda. Tonight I let them stay up as late to see daddy when he got home, at 10pm!)

The last paragraph was not meant as a complaint at all. I love that Travis can use his musical talent to make a lot of noise, I mean, for ministry. I just wanted to illistrate why I depend so desperately on two particular substances, caffeine and chocolate.

My long day started when Noah got up before 7am, and was proud I had both kids up and ready before 8 to head to bible study at 9. Not an easy task for us night owls. Usually thursday mornings I get to sit and relax a bit (with my cup of coffee) while discussing the lesson with my girls. But not today. Today I had agreed to work nursery, which means Noah times 5. I wasn't exactly well rested by the time we left around lunchtime. And I didn't have ANY caffeine in my system yet.

Fortunately I had two Starbucks gift cards in my purse. I figured today was the day to put them to use as it was only noon and I was exhausted and had the rest of the day ahead of me with two energetic kids and no particular plans. I got a venti coffee of the day. Never was $1.75 better spent. Thanks Aunt J!

Noah fell asleep on the way home, and miracles of miracles, I got him inside asleep without having to nurse him. I don't regret moving him to a toddler bed one bit. Perfect opportunity to pour half the coffee into a mug, add sugar, and sip away the rest of the afternoon, warming periodically in the microwave.

But here is the best part, I put the other half of the coffee in the fridge for later. And about 5pm the perfect opportunity arose to use it. Noah goes down for a nap, (yep, before he's had dinner or a bath,) and I know it's going to be a late night. I fill a mug with Bryer's vanilla bean ice cream, pour the rest of the chilled coffee over it, and add a generous dab of Hershey's chocolate syrup, mush with a spoon until slushy, and I have the perfect treat to keep me going the rest of the evening. Olivia's favorite show, Dragon Tales, comes on at 5:30; and I have a lovely little rejuvinating coffee break.

Noah wakes up at about 6:30 and we don't really need to discuss the next 3.5 hours. Let's just say lots of pee on the floor (both kids) and unrolling toilet paper rolls (again, both kids) were involved. I did get dinner in them (leftover pancakes) and they got a bath. Mission accomplished. Thank you caffeine and chocolate!

Daddy makes his appearance at 10pm and we are all on our last legs. Noah waves "nigh nigh" to him and mommy gets him to bed while daddy reads Olivia a bedtime story and gets her to bed. Whew.

What do I do at this late hour? I realize I'm starving and can't go to sleep hungry. Plus, I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow too, and it would be nice to already have my caffeine/chocolate fuel ready to go. I've been craving cake batter... (Yes, I prefer to just eat the raw batter for a treat.) Unfortunately, I just ran out of cocoa powder, and when you can't have something you crave it even more. On the all-recipes hunt I go! Wait, I have cake mix, chocolate pudding mix, and instant coffee granduals. Yippee!

So, Sara and Shawnie, this is for you. My midnight blogging snack, Black Russian Cake Mix. I think I prefer the Chocolate Mocha Cake better, but you gotta do what you gotta do when you need your caffeine and chocolate. I don't know how you girls will survive the next 39 days, but I'll try to do my part and consume your share for ya. :-)

4 Comments:

  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger nowwhatelmo said…

    Woohoo! I am famous. Seriously, I started a diet, so by giving it up for lent, I am really just helping myself! I hope that you eat lots of chocolate for me during the next 38 days!

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Momma-rama said…

    UUUUGGGGHHH!!!!! I am having withdrawals!! A day like that would me me a happy mommy. Chocolate and coffee. 38 days to go. I will live vicariously through you.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger catankgirl said…

    I just want to say, good for you guys! Seriously, you will feel SO much healthier in 40 days, I'm sure you won't even want to touch chocolate or caffeine! You can do it!

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just peed my pants!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home