Monday, February 04, 2008

Olivia's first violin lesson

Daddy took Olivia today to her first violin lesson. I will try my best not to be a braggy mom who thinks her child is the most talented person on eath, but according to what I heard, she did AMAZING!

So, first she learned the 4 whole notes that the 4 strings on the violin makes. (It took me a bunch of questions of daddy to even understand what this means.) The teacher told Olivia that the 4 strings makes the notes G, D, A, and E. Then the teacher told Travis to call out notes for Olivia to play. He started calling them out in different order like "A, E, D, G, E, A, D..." and she could play them exactly right the first time! After only being taught them once! The teacher actually said, "That's not something I see every day." Wow, right?

Then the teacher started drawing the staff and 5 line thing and said "This is the kinda advanced for the first lesson, but you seem to be doing well," and taught her that stuff. (It gets a little above my head here, can you tell?) On the way home Olivia started drawing the staff and lines and putting those 4 notes in the right place on the staff! Wow, right?

On the way home daddy was telling her how proud he was and asked how she learned everything so quickly. She replied, "This brain might look small, but it has a lot of room." She is such a cut-up!

At home she showed me how she could pluck those 4 notes, and also play them with the bow. Needless to say, I'm super proud of her! Not that it's up to orchastra quality, of course, but overall I'm pretty sure that is impressive for a 6-year-old in her first 30 minutes violin lesson.

While I was sitting typing this blog, I kept asking her and daddy "which are the 4 notes again?" and such questions to get the info above correct. So, on her own, she drew me a picture "to help mommy learn," the 4 whole notes the 4 violin string play, correctly placed on the staff. Did I mention with no help. By herself. That she just learned today. Look at how the G is even two little lines below. Wow, right?



So, we're going to be in the poor house paying to rent a violin and private lessons, but maybe it will someday earn her a college scholarship or something. Even if it doesn't, it's totally worth it!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger Highlandgal said…

    I'm certainly impressed. It sounds like she's a natural talent.

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Geekette said…

    Wow Jessica that is awesome!! I remember being in 1st grade with a girl who had started playing the violin when she was 4 1/2 years old. She was doing concerts by 1st grade. It sounds like Olivia has a natural talent and you should be very proud. :)

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger phins_jazy said…

    Wow! That sounds great! I hope she keeps having fun playing. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home