Saturday, July 26, 2008

My new obsession

If you pull back the curtains on my kitchen window you will see this.



I found a great tip about how to germinate seeds between the folds of a coffee filter. Just add water and put in a sandwich bag in a indirectly sunny window. In a few days you can see them sprouting. Amazing!



I've been playing with what kind of seeds this works well for. I've had great success with Alyssum, a nice, trailing plant that is still easy to control. Here is some I have to fill some spots around a planter. I grew this one from a packet of seeds cheap from a drugstore.



I grabbed a few seeds from the drying part of this plant, germinated them in the coffee filters, and transfered them to my newspaper pots. Here are the little babies hanging out on the grill getting used to the outside environment.



Wish them luck once they get in the ground!

I'm also trying some of my leftover coneflower seeds I got last year. Here is the plant I grew from seed last year.



And here are some of the seeds germinating in my coffee filters.



Fun hobby when you have no money for full plants. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger 4texans said…

    Wow, you have such a green thumb! Wish I could grow things the way you do!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home